175 years of Benedictines of Muri in Gries
On the evening of June 24, 1845, the Benedictines moved into Gries from Muri in Switzerland. In the book 'History of the Benedictine Muri-Gries Abbey', by P. Martin Kiem from 1891, the first impression of the incoming fathers is recorded: "The monastery was without any furnishings, had few undamaged doors and windows, because it was used by the military for a long time. "
The monastery in Gries had been home of Augustinian canons for over 400 years, until its abolition at the beginning of the 19th century. A similar destiny affected the monastery of Muri in Switzerland and eventually led to the revival of the monastic culture in Gries by the Benedictines decades later. Winegrowing has always played an important role throughout the centuries and has always been an economically important factor for the existence of the monastery in Gries. In comparison, today's monastery winery itself has a fairly recent history. Notes on the official founding of the then 'Stiftskellerei in Gries bei Bozen' date from 1903.
A lot has happened since then in the monastery and in the winery. Today Muri-Gries is one of the last monasteries in South Tyrol that are still dedicated to the production of wine. Over the past three decades, Muri-Gries, under the leadership of oenologist Christian Werth, has positioned itself with one of the most renowned wineries in South Tyrol with his special soft spot and his expertise for Lagrein.